Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Novel Report: Goldilock’s porridge

How do you “feed” information to the reader? Little bits, or big chunks? When is one better than the other? When do you reveal things? As I’m revising my intro, this is forefront on my mind. Something I noticed with my writers group is that sometimes they will say, “You can leave that till later” and other times they say, “I want more info about this now, and it will confuse the reader if you wait.”

So why does a little sometimes work, and sometimes not?

And how much is too much?

This is the balance, the craft, of writing, at its most agonizing.

And you can’t please all the people all the time, so the writer has to take in the critiques, the feedback, the suggestions, and figure out the best possible balance for *the story*.

It’s exciting. And exhausting. And thrilling when a scene clicks into place. Or something that was unclear to the group suddenly makes sense.

I can't really measure word count, but I have been spending 1-2 hours a night on this, and it feels really good. I have revised the first three scenes, about 2900 words so far, and I’m getting to where I think they might not stink. There’s action, character introduction, world-building, and even some back story in the 3rd scene, that I believe works naturally in the setting. I guess my writers group will let me know what they think in the morning. In fact, I’m counting on it!

Dogs in House
Houdini, Brindle


Time writing
20 minutes


March word count
4,928


No comments:

Post a Comment