Thursday, February 6, 2014

Prompt: Faith doesn’t matter

Faith doesn’t matter. What is, is, regardless of what we believe. I should know. I was an atheist when we began our excavation of the Temple Mount in the Old City of Jerusalem. I didn’t advertise that fact, though I wouldn’t have denied it either. Fortunately, religious affiliation wasn’t a requirement in the mind of our team leader, Josef ben Gurion. He was a natural-born leader, regardless of people’s claims of God’s hand on his family.

Hmph. God’s hand didn’t save Josef from the Ark any more than the passionate prayers and pleadings of the other Jewish, or Christian, or Muslim members of our team. I am the last survivor, but I know I will never leave here. Some day my bones will be found with the rest. Hmph. Will I be considered a willing sacrifice? I write this as my final testament of our expedition. If you are reading this, may God, whether you believe or disbelieve, have mercy on your soul. And mine.

Note:
The Lost Ark? Seriously, where do these things come from? Fun to research, and maybe a fun story to write. Or has it been done too much?

Time writing
25 minutes


February word count
1,586

3 comments:

  1. Writing report:
    Novel editing, new text Ch21

    Time: 40min

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love Ark stuff! Never done too much for me :) Good voice to the narrator so far. I suppose the 'freshness' of your take on it will hinge on making a really strong voice consistently through the whole piece.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anne. I'll have to let this one simmer awhile and see if I can make a go of it. :)

      Delete