Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Novel Report: Second Guessing Yourself

So the revisions to the novel beginning are underway, in preparation for this summer’s Magical Words workshop at Congregate. First section read to my small weekly writers group, who have each come in at varying stages later in the novel. They gave some great feedback, and now the challenge is to consider that while I revise the next scene, incorporating their suggestions as well as working in introductory material, since this scene was originally written later in the story.

And here’s the second guessing. How much to tell, and when? Should I introduce this person, this idea, now, or later? Not to mention keeping a consistent POV through all of this! Aiee!

On the other hand, it is kind of fun to go back to the beginning and meet these people all over again. I love thinking about my characters’ personalities, their abilities, and their back stories. It’s invigorating to see the things that make them special and to think, “Yes, that is so cool!”

I can’t wait for you to meet them.

And so, though I slog, and doubt, and gnash my teeth, I also roll my shoulders and straighten my back and determine once again that I Will Finish This Novel!

Unfortunately, I don’t really know how to track any kind of word count when I am doing a mashup of cutting, pasting, moving around, and new writing. So for now, two new opening scenes “done” – which really means version 2 of 3 before the workshop. Or 3.xx. Whatever.

Dogs in House
Houdini, Malachi


Time writing
20 minutes


No comments:

Post a Comment