Sunday, April 6, 2014

Prompt: Fire, Joy, Thief, Cross, Angel (use at least 3 of these)

The nightmares come in flashes, like photos held under a light and pulled away. The boy with his arms stretched on a cross, his head hanging down, his t-shirt in tatters, jeans low on his hips, blood dripping down his feet and off his toes. My father in his robe standing in front of the wall of fire as our mother led us out of our burning house in the middle of the night. The angel drifting over the street in front of my house like a cloud or smoke in the cold night air, before it turned toward me.

I wake up with a jolt, gasping for air, fighting the pull of sleep that leads right back to the images I want to forget. The one image I will never name. Sleep drags me back under again and again, until I fight my way free of the tangled sheets and stumble to the bathroom. Water from the tap tastes different at 3am. Or perhaps that bitterness is just another part of the dreams. In the morning’s light, it never tastes the same.

No need for a light to disturb those still sleeping. I kneel at the altar in my closet and bow, resting my forehead on the cool, soft wood. My sweat is my offering. My fear is my gift to the gods…

TBC?

Dogs in House
Brindle, Houdini


Music
Lion King soundtrack


Time writing
~15 minutes


April word count
1976


No comments:

Post a Comment