Thursday, May 15, 2014

Prompt: Memory Bank, Part 2


“Now, let’s have you slip this on and we’ll run a quick memory scan, okay?” the credit planner said in a professional, cheerful voice. She stood next to me and slid the headset over my hair, resting the pads behind each ear. I reached up to make sure they were steady and brushed her fingers by accident. She didn’t move away immediately. I wondered if I should ask her out for coffee when we were done.

“Mr. Thomas? Mr. Thomas?” She was kneeling beside me, headset in hand, shaking my arm, which was resting on the chair arm. Wide-eyed and white-faced, she looked scared. I didn’t understand? We were just putting the scanner on?

“I don’t—”

“Mr. Thomas. I think you should go.” She stood up and stepped away, smoothing her skirt with nervous, fluttering hands. Dropping the headset on her desk with a clatter, she jumped at the sound. “Please….go….now.” She was eyeing the door as if mercs might leap through at any minute. I shook my head to clear it and stood up.

She took a step toward me and reached out her hand, resting it on my forearm. It didn’t feel like flirting now. “Be careful,” she said quietly. “I’m trying to think where you might go with that—” she waved her other hand toward my head, and I grimaced. What had happened? What was happening? What had she seen?

“You might go to the FBI. Not any other agency, do you hear me? Or, to tell you the truth, if I were you, I would go straight up to LAX and fly to either the Cayman Islands or Switzerland.”

I’m sure my eyes bugged out. She nodded seriously. “Be careful,” she said again, dropping her hands to her sides. I couldn’t think of a thing to say, so I nodded and left.

Walking to the transit, I felt the hairs on the back of my neck prickling. Was I being watched? Jeez, she had really freaked me out. I tried not to look around like a paranoid. Tried to shrug it off. But when I got to the transit, I didn’t head south to my apartment. I headed north to Los Angeles.

TBC?

Dogs in house:
Houdini, Brindle


May word count:
 7,309


No comments:

Post a Comment