Monday, August 19, 2013

Prompt: Forgotten, but not gone…


Thanks to Denys Roque for permission to use his beautiful image, “Blue Forest”!

 Welcome, dearies. I hope you will be happy in this place. I was, for many long years with my beloved, and any long years after he died. And my mother before me, and her mother before her. I am the last of a very long line, but there are no more left, none but me, and I don’t have long to remain here either.

Of course, you are welcome to go anywhere you would like. This is your home now. There’s nothing here to hide.

I might offer one small word of caution though. If you go into the woods, and find the colors turning from green to blue, it would be wise to turn around and find your way home at once. Before too long, you might become lost in the blue forest and never find your way back at all!

What is the blue forest? Do you even really need to ask? I see by the looks in your eyes, on your faces, that you already know. We don’t say such things aloud if we can help it. You never know who might be listening.

Ah well, it’s time for me to go. Oh no, don’t look so alarmed! I’m not dying, at least, not right this minute. Thank you, dearie. It’s harder for me to get up than it used to be. Ah, I appreciate your kindness.

Oh, one more thing. If you do go into the blue forest, keep an eye out for an old grave. It’s marked with an old stone cross. If you are so minded, you could say a little prayer, or spare a kind thought.

My ancestor? Oh no, dearies. That’s my grave…

Dogs in house
Houdini, Brindle


Time writing:
~20 minutes


August word count:
9,842

No comments:

Post a Comment