Saturday, June 25, 2016

Prompt: Healing with a passing touch

"It was the salmon mousse."
"What?" Startled out of my nausea fog, I jerked my head up to the flight attendant as she rested a hand on my shoulder.
"Sorry. I shouldn't joke. I can tell you don't feel well."
I waved my hand feebly and noticed the warmth of her hand through my stiff cotton shirt. "Thank you. I'm fine."
I wasn't currently hooked up to any machines or IVs or an oxygen feed. Funny how our standards get redefined.
She was staring at me, not the almost-glance and smile most attendants spare as they move with brisk efficiency down the plane. The warmth on my shoulder was spreading down to my arm. She leaned toward me and slid her other hand under mine, resting on my thigh. "What ails you?"
Such an odd question. Such a personal one. I flushed and looked around. She smiled and waved her hand around before returning it to my shoulder. "Don't worry about them. They don't notice us."
It was true. The seat next to me was blessedly empty, but the people around us were paying no attention to us, no curious glances, no studied ignorance. "They don't see us?"
"For now."
Her fingers tightened on mine. Warmth from both of her hands rushed down my arms, across my chest, and down my spine. Her eyes widened.
"Oh! I'm sorry."
I don't know how, but she knew.
I grimaced. "Stage four. It's metastasized up my spine. There's nothing more to be done."
"That's not true, Alex."
"How do you know…"
She grinned. "No mystery there. I checked you in at the door, remember?"
I shook my head. I had been barely functional for days. This trip was the last one I would make. Home.
But the warmth flooded through me, and I felt…something…
"What's happening?" I wasn't alarmed, although I thought that was strange too. I felt calm, comforted. I looked at my neighbors, and it seemed like there was a dark cloud around us. Another attendant moved past this one--mine--as if she weren't' even there.
"Oh. I'm hallucinating."
She laughed, shaking her head. "No, I'm quite real, thank you."
"What are you doing?"
"I'm healing you."
She was so matter of fact, I didn't doubt her for a moment. As she said it, I could feel my body strengthening…inside.
"How?"
A shadow crossed her face. "I don't know. It's a gift that was given to me when I needed it, and now I'm giving it to you. But Alex, you have a responsibility now, to give it to as many people as possible."
I nodded, thinking. "Is that why you're here? To touch as many people as possible?"

# # #

Original concept:
Plane passenger sick - healer holds his hand and hand on shoulder, just talks with him, when he gets embarrassed at attention, she waves her hand and says they don't see us and a veil of darkness surrounds them - Maybe healer is flight attendant - can touch a lot of people casually in passing

Then as I was writing this, I had the idea of the healing itself being passed along - and perhaps some longevity or immortality with it…

It's fun when ideas take off! But as you can see, the beginning needs work.

And I hope you chuckled at the Monty Python reference!

#

And so, with a loving heart, I offer you
Namaste
I’ve heard many translations. Here’s my favorite:
The light of the universe that shines within me recognizes
the light of the universe that shines within you.

#


No comments:

Post a Comment